A guy who was born in Canada, grew up in Indonesia, went to high school in Australia, spent half a year in Hawaii, and ended up back in Canada.
This is my story...
DR's Corner
Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Learning to type using the Dvorak layout

For the last week or so, I've been learning to type with the dvorak layout. Mainly because it's supposed to save your wrists a couple of miles worth of typing every day (http://www.theworldofstuff.com/dvorak/).

"Less Finger Travel: Because of the arrangement of the keys, the Dvorak keyboard requires less finger travel. It has been estimated that a QWERTY typist's fingers travel 16-20 miles a day, while a Dvorak typist's fingers will only travel about 1 mile. This is a major benefit to the health of your fingers."

So, I've followed the training on this page, as well as typed a couple of pages worth every day. I'm glad to say that as of right now, I'm up 30 wpm on the dvorak layout. Of course, this is still a far reach from my normal speed of around 80 - 90 wpm, but hey it's not bad for one week's worth of typing.

I'm planning on getting up to speed within the next 3 or 4 weeks, and hopefully switch to dvorak for most of my typing, because my writsts have been known to hurt once in a while from too much computer work.

Another thing I found by learning dvorak is that it's actually quite fun to be able to switch back and forth between two different layouts without too much trouble. I guess our brain is really wired in an amazing way.


Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates